Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Lazy Mary's Lemon Tart

Lazy Mary's Lemon Tart

Compared to Thomas Keller's lemon tart, this lemon tart recipe that I found on Food 52 is incredibly simple.  In fact, the hardest part might be finding a Meyer lemon.  I had never bought one before, so I was expecting a larger than normal lemon, especially since the recipe only calls for one Meyer lemon, but they turned out to be smaller than the lemons I was used to.  And the fragrance--do all Meyer lemon rinds smell like jasmine?  Because if they do, I might have to seriously consider moving to California just so I can have my own Meyer lemon tree.

One big difference you'll notice about this recipe is that the entire lemon (seeds, too, although I chickened out and tossed at least half the seeds) goes into the filling.  Meyer lemons have a thinner skin than normal lemons, and it's common to see the whole Meyer lemon being used in recipes like Shaker pies.  I wouldn't recommend using a regular lemon for this recipe; I've eaten lemon bars made with whole lemons before and the pith made them way too bitter.

Lazy Mary's Lemon Tart
 
Lazy Mary's Lemon Tart (from Food 52)
makes 1 tart

1 large Meyer lemon (about 4 oz.) cut into 8 pieces
1 1/2 cup superfine sugar
1 stick butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 eggs
Your favorite tart shell, pre-baked (I used Thomas Keller's pine nut crust)

PC053218
 
Put all ingredients (except tart shell) into a blender and whirl like crazy!

PC053221
 
Pour into tart shell.

PC053225
 
Bake 40 minutes at 350°F (watch that the top does not burn).

Lazy Mary's Lemon Tart
 
This tart tasted a lot more like a lemon bar to me than what I think of when I think of a lemon tart. I wasn't crazy about how it looked either; it probably would benefit from a dusting of powdered sugar on top like lemon bars do.  It was really quick and easy to make, though, so I'd recommend it if you're short on time, but the next (and last) lemon tart that I made is really my ideal lemon tart, and it's easier to make than Keller's!

Next:  Tartine's Lemon Cream Tart
Previously:  Thomas Keller's Lemon Tart
Three years ago:  Creamy Delicata Squash Soup
Four years ago:  Hua Juan (Steamed Scallion Buns)

3 comments:

  1. You can grow your own Meyer's here in south Louisiana. They can be very large. I picked one last year that when held in the palm of my hand, only allowed my fingertips to show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, this is just amazing! Definitely the best lemon tart I've ever tasted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try Tartine's lemon cream tart as well; I think it's even better (although not as easy to make)!

      Delete